Reasons People Consider Veneers
- Teeth have become chipped
- Front teeth have uneven or jagged edges
- Front teeth show gaps between them
- Teeth are crooked
- Teeth have become discolored or stained and whitening products do not lift the stain
- Teeth have become worn down
- Teeth appear too large or small in relation to the size of the mouth
Porcelain Veneers Can Improve Your Smile
A porcelain veneer or laminate is a thin layer of porcelain that is attached to the front of the tooth. The veneer is shaped to hide problems and is bonded directly to the tooth. The porcelain is also colored to blend well with the surrounding teeth. Porcelain is used because it reflects light in a way similar to the way natural teeth reflect light. This makes a porcelain veneer hard to detect because it looks so natural. One’s smile can be greatly enhanced through the use of porcelain veneers.
Not Everyone Is a Candidate for Porcelain Veneers
Patients who need their teeth aligned may require orthodontic treatment instead of using veneers. Patients whose teeth show excessive decay may not be good candidates for veneers.
Aside from a veneer, one good option may be a porcelain crown that simulates the natural tooth. The decay is removed prior to installing the crown. While porcelain veneers are not permanent and will eventually need replacement, they are very durable can last for many years with proper care.